Wednesday, February 8, 2012

C4T #1

tissue paper hearts cut out in the sky

Bryan Jackson whose blog Adventures in a Gifted Classroom: Musings on Modern Learning explores different techniques and methods of learning for students of today. Mr. Jackson teaches at the high school where he also graduated high school from. I find his personality to be very easy going and down to earth. His students seem to be able to relate to him and seem excited about his original approaches in education. I read a few of his blogs, but posted comments to the following two posts: Slice of Life - Last Run of the Day and Poetry is Nothing.

Slice of Life - Last Run of the Day is a post that was originally inspired by a project of Scott Lockman's.  Jackson describes how he would like to incorporate Digital Storytelling 106 into his curriculum to further engage his students on a journey of life-long learning.  Just like a great adventurer, Mr. Jackson lets his students and followers into a slice of his life during a visit to a ski resort. He video records his "last run of the day" down the snowy mountainside. By doing this Jackson allows his viewer around the world to experience new things by digitally capturing this scene in his life.  He teaches and challenges his students to get out of their comfort zones and explore the world.  By the power of technology we can grow together as a community and see things that we never thought would be possible. 

My comment:
I am a student of Dr. John Strange's EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. After reading your post, I am excited to see that there are so many great teachers out there, such as yourself, who are pioneering the way for online learning. I am very new to the blogging world and the terminology, but I believe that this community is a wondrous way to allow educators and students alike to have a creative outlet and gain a sense of community at the same time. 

I also enjoyed the "Last Run of the Day" video.  Living in the South, it is extremely rare that we get snow. I felt like I was on a field trip while watching. Thank you for your inspiring words.  I look forward to my look back in a year, so that I may be able to see how far I have come in this educational blogging world. 

The Poetry is Nothing blog post by Bryan Jackson is inspired by a poem written by Jabiz Raisdana. Mr. Jackson turns the poem into music by using his acoustic guitar. After taking it a step further, he introduces the musical version to his classroom and they all play the music inspired by the poem.  Please take a moment and interpret the poem for yourself. 

Poetry is Nothing poem

My comment:

Bravo to you and your talented students on a wonderful performance.  I was tapping my foot the entire time.  I love the sound of an acoustic guitar.  I find it to be very therapeutic, especially after a stressful day. 

We all need to do as the poem states and stop and listen and absorb the moments around us.  We live in a world where the rate of speed is almost always at full speed ahead. I am inspired by your creativity and find your teaching style to be engaging. You push your students to thing and learn in a new way.  Every single one of them was absorbed in the act and was "listening".

Here is the video of his class and their performance. 



No comments:

Post a Comment