Monday, March 5, 2012

C4T #2 - Summary

Jeff Delp is a K-12 Administrator, a self-proclaimed sports fanatic, and technology junkie.  His blog Molehills out of Mountains is full of insightful tips and lessons.  The title of the blog says so much to me.  There have been times in my life when I see a "mountain", an obstacle, and feel intimidated.  It is so easy for one to turn around an accept defeat, but that shouldn't happen.  No one should ever claim defeat if they never even try.  Turn those mountains into molehills and accomplish your goals and dreams.

Comment #1
In his blog post Productivity Tools for Educators, Mr. Delp provides a list of apps that he finds useful in his day-to-day life being a School Administrator.  These tools help him manage his time for effectively and also help him to be more efficient with his work.  The list of tools include the following:  Google Docs, Evernote, Dropbox, Wunderlist, Posterous, and Twitter.  His last sentence, he says, "Whether using one of these applications, or anything else, the key is to find tools that work for you and share your experiences with others".

I commented on how much I rely on my iPhone to keep me organized.  Without my phone I would not have a clue as to what is going on with my busy schedule.  I not only have my school schedule and deadlines to keep up with, but my photography business schedule, as well as, my oldest son's schedule.  To be only 7 years old, he sure has a busy week between practices and church events.  After reading his post I downloaded Wunderlist.  I have only added a few tasks to the app, but I believe that once I start adding more stuff I will be able to utilize it more.  

Comment #2
The second post that I commented on is titled, "My New Year's Resolution:  Fail Frequently".  It describs Delp's view on starting a new year.  It happens every year at 12:00 am on January 1st.  We all get a "fresh" start in our lives and have are ready to make changes.  In order to change, you must take a chance.  Sometimes with change, comes failure.  Failure is just a part of the the changing process.  It makes us look at our actions and see where we need to make adjustments, so that we may succeed.  

photo that says failure is a part of life, if you don't fail, you don't learn, if you don't learn you'll never change


This year, I decided to make a few changes in my life.  I decided to be a healthier person in general.  This includes losing weight, becoming more organized and getting back in school.  My mind was made up that I was going to accomplish every one of these goals, and I have.  Since December, I have lost 30 pounds, cleaned out closets and other cluttered spaces, and right now I am working on my blog for school.  Ah -- it feels so great to feel like I am accomplishing something.  However, I will say that there have been moments where I have wanted to stop, but it just takes me looking at my children to see that I am not only doing these things for me, but for them.  As Albert Einstein says, "The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking.  I cannot be changed without changing our thinking." 


1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Miranda! Every time we establish goals for ourselves we hit a "brick wall" as Randy Pausch said. For me, it only takes looking over my shoulder and seeing how far I have come, what I have to lose, and what I don't want to go back to, to keep me pushing through obstacles. I enjoyed your post and I think you should definitely keep up blogging well after this class! You are a good and inspirational writer :) You could have your own class blog like Mr. Delp! Just food for thought.
    Thanks,
    Carly

    ReplyDelete