Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Blog Assignment #11

Kathy Cassidy
Canadian First Grade teacher, Kathy Cassidy, shares her enthusiastic approach to technology in the classroom in her blog.  She shared a YouTube video, Little Kids, Big Potential which lets us take a peek into the wonderful things that her six year old students are doing.  They are blogging, using Wikis, Nintendo DS, and computers daily to help expand their learning structure.  I was so impressed with how well-spoken these first grade students were.  Their knowledge of blogging at the age of 6 just amazes me.  

Mrs. Cassidy also did a Skype interview with Dr. Strange and answered questions and gave several wise tips for us, the up and coming teachers.  One tip that she had was for us to go ahead and start developing our online networking system.  Dr. Strange stated that 100% of his EDM students are currently using Facebook, and many of us are a little leery of using Twitter.  I would have to say that before this class I did not have a Twitter account.  I have not taken the time to really stop and explore this networking system, however, I hope to have more time this summer to dedicate to doing more research on a variety of networking tools.  She also suggested that we start by using tools that we already find interesting.  If we like videos, then do some research on YouTube.  If we like photography, such as myself, then try Flickr or other site to try to make some connections.

When I eventually am blessed to have my own elementary classroom, I would love to be able to implement several of the same tools that Mrs. Cassidy uses in her class.  I believe that blogging will be a wonderful tool for my students as it will help with so many areas of communication.  It is important that we teach skills such as writing, sharing, and researching at a young age.  It teaches students to be more responsible and more culturally rounded.  This is an extremely important aspect in helping our children develop into more diverse characters.

baby at computer


Growing up in the "South", I have been around so many people who are very close minded when it comes to accepting different cultures.  That's not to all all, but some.  I was very blessed to have a childhood where we traveled to many places around and out of the country.  I believe that this early exposure to other environments and cultures made me more optimistic.  It actually made me more eager to learn more about people and their culture.  By blogging and commenting in the classroom, we give students opportunities that some may not be able to have.  

I also believe that I will use iPads, should they be available, in my classroom.  My son's class has two iPads at least in his classroom.  They use them for a variety of projects.  He feel very very comfortable using this type of technology.  So unless teachers want to be left behind in the dust of their students, they need to hop on board of the tech-yes-train (my made up word) and open some new doors!






1 comment:

  1. Hello Miranda,

    This was a fantastically original response to Ms. Cassidy's videos. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on implementing technology in the classroom (a topic I know you may get a tad tired of). Also, I love your made up term! The Tech-Yes Train sounds great. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete